Thursday, May 6, 2010

Sewing, Sewing, Sewing




On Tuesday my family decided to work on sewing projects. Mom worked on drafting a pattern for a gored skirt, my brother Pierce (11 years old) learned how to use the sewing machine for his quilt, my brother Thomas (13 years old) finished sewing the sail for his model catamaran ship, my sister Zoe (6 years old) started some lavendar filled sachets and I made a Bebe Au Lait style nursing cover for one of our friends. After I finished making the Bebe Au Lait I started cutting out the pieces for pouches that can attach to a belt for Thomas, Pierce and I. We had been waiting for some books at the library to come in, but we finally couldn't stand it anymore and just went to the library to find the books ourselves. We meant to just pick up the one book that was in hold and lookaround  for a little while, but ended up coming bak with 14 books on cooking and sewing. I would recomend getting the book Sew What! Skirts. It shows how to draft a skirt pattern just using your measurments. Mom and I are planning to make another skirt for each of us before our trip to Mississippi at the end of this month.

I am hoping to write a series on how to sew and knit with recycled materials (after we get a camera). As a sneak peek, one of the projects will be How to turn a tee shirt into a dish cloth.

Lauren

1 comment: