Friday, April 23, 2010

Delicacy Disasters


Today was busy cooking for my birthday party. We were planning to make cake, ice cream, scones, sandwiches, chocolate covered strawberries and candied orange peel. I am inviting eleven girls to my party so I thought that this would be enough. We had a pre-made devil's food cake mix which we used. The cake turned out round and smooth on top, until my two year old brother Stephen decided to taste it. A bite sized chunk was taken straight out of the top.

The ice cream just got finished. It usually turns out the consistency of Wendy's frosties, probably better to drink through a straw than to eat with a spoon. I thought that scalding the milk would make it freeze better, but alas, it turned out the same as usual. I accidentally let the oranges simmer too long in sugar water and they burned. The chocolate for the strawberries was supposed to melt in a double boiler, but we do not have one. The chocolate ended up cooking instead of melting and was too lumpy.

Fortunately the cake and ice cream are edible. I cannot imagine what could possibly go wrong with making sandwiches and I have made scones before with little difficulty so I hope they turn out fine.

Lauren Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment